- Acute gastritis is a condition where your dog's stomach is inflamed. She may have eaten something that irritated the lining of her stomach or it could be due to a viral or bacterial infection. The condition should be treated by withholding her food for 24 hours. After the vomiting has subsided, begin feeding her small amounts of bland food, such as white rice and chicken. After a day or two, gradually get her back on her regular diet.
- Chronic gastritis may be an indication of a serious illness. While it may be caused by medications, stress or an imbalance of electrolytes, it can also be a symptom of diseases involving the liver, kidneys or pancreas. Diseases of the stomach can be problematic and, if it is due to cancer, it is frequently fatal. Chronic vomiting, projectile vomiting and the vomiting of blood or feces require urgent veterinary care.
- Vomiting may be the result of your dog eating too quickly or eating too much. Try feeding him smaller amounts at more frequent intervals if this is the case. Snacks between meals may also help. If you feed him foods with a high fat content or those that are rich, they may not agree with him. Changing his diet may be necessary to remedy the situation.
- Parasites, such as Coccidia, Giardia or roundworms can cause your dog to vomit. Your veterinarian can prescribe medication to eliminate the parasites. Some medications may make her vomit, which requires a change of prescription.
- If you believe your dog has ingested some type of poison, such as pesticides, antifreeze, warfarin, vitamin D3, strychnine, phenol or products with lead content, try to induce vomiting and seek immediate veterinarian care. You can give him syrup of ipecac or 3-percent hydrogen peroxide, as instructed by your veterinarian, to help get the poison out of his system quickly. The same is true for certain plants poisonous to dogs such as poinsettia, morning glory and lilies. If you are unable to reach your veterinarian for advice on treatment, call the National Poison Control Center or the ASPCA Poison Control Center.
- Never induce vomiting if your dog has ingested any type of petroleum product such as gasoline, paint thinner, motor oil, lighter fluid or cleaning solutions. In these cases, administer a tablespoon or two of mineral or cooking oil and seek help. If you are unsure of the reason for your dog vomiting, seek the advice of your veterinarian. Persistent vomiting can lead to dehydration. If your dog is vomiting water, offer him ice cubes to lick.